Dr. Pedro M. Abrantes
Board certified by the American Board of Podiatric Medicine.
Served as Chief of Podiatry at South Miami Hospital 2012-16.
Born and raised in Harrison, N.J, Dr. Abrantes completed his A.A.S. in dietetics with honors at Middlesex Community College, New Jersey. He was then accepted to New York University to complete a bachelor’s degree in dietetics receiving the only transfer scholarship in which he surpassed for a more hands on degree in sports medicine. He then completed his bachelor’s in Sports medicine athletic training at Barry University, Miami, Florida.
He also made it as a walk-on to the Barry University Men’s Soccer team and became a starter. He was on the Scholastic-Athlete Men’s Honors List throughout his collegiate years and made the academic dean’s list twice. He was the Recipient of the Coaches Athlete Award in Men’s Soccer in 1997.
While completing his degree he became board certified in sports medicine athletic training.
During this period, Dr. Abrantes had a keen interest in foot and ankle medicine as well as biomechanics, treating many athletes alongside both orthopedic and podiatric surgeons. Dr. Abrantes noticed there was a need for patients in this area, thus he decided to be specialized as a foot and ankle surgeon (Podiatrist).
He then completed his Doctor of Podiatric Medicine Degree (D.P.M.) at Barry University, Miami, Florida. Upon completing his D.P.M. Degree, he was presented with the Barry University/ American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons Award for Excellence in Podiatric Surgery. Recipient of the Podiatric Clinical Student Scholarship, 2004-05 Recipients, Dean’s Academic Scholarship, 2002 Academic President’s List, two semesters and the Academic Dean’s List, four semesters. Dr. Abrantes was one of only three medical students in school history to obtain a perfect score in clinical gross anatomy lab.
His externships involved working alongside Dr. Guman at the Fort Benning Army Base Ranger Jump School in Columbus, Georgia to gain a higher level of trauma experience.
Dr. Abrantes completed a three year residency in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery at Baptist and South Miami Hospitals in Miami.
During residency, he also was able to be involved in surgically treating crippled children abroad in the Yucatan Children’s Project in Mexico from 2005-2008 with Dr Keith Kashuk and Dr Gary Dockery. He also led the 2 mission trips as lead resident, teaching 1st and 2nd yr Podiatry Residents.
Dr. Abrantes specializes in treating many disorders of the lower extremity involving the foot and ankle utilizing the latest conservative and advanced reconstructive techniques.
Speaker, Primatrix Skin Xenografts Trauma and Wound Care, 2009, 2010
Over the past few years he was mentioned in Baptist Salud Miami Herald in treating a rare condition called Olmsted Syndrome. Thus, preventing a teenager from amputating bilateral legs. Patient was one of 26 females out of 74 cases worldwide Dr. Abrantes is in the process of writing journal article.
Served as Chief of Podiatry at South Miami Hospital 2012-16. Overseeing 30 attendings and 9 Surgical residents.
Dr. Abrantes is an adjunct professor for Barry University Podiatric Medical School, providing a teaching environment for students to broaden their exposure to patient care, enhancing the understanding of biomechanics and Podiatric medical care to assist patients with the latest utmost conservative and surgical care as needed.
Dr. Abrantes enjoys spending time with his family, the outdoors, fishing, traveling, listening to music, watching movies, and serving in his local church.
- State of Florida Podiatric Medical License
- Board Certified, American Board Podiatric Medicine
- Certified course in AO Surgery Techniques
- Certified in Arthroscopic Foot and Ankle surgery
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification
- Certified in Athletic Training and Sports Medicine
- Certified Completion of True/Lot Lower extremity, Trauma, and Reconstruction 2008
- Past-President, Miami-Dade County Podiatric Medical Association
- Associate, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- Associate, American Podiatric Medical Association
- Associate, American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine
- Associate, American Professional Wound Care
- Association Member, Florida Podiatric Medical Association
- Member, American Academy of Stem Cell Physicians
- South Miami Hospital (Former Chief of Podiatry)
- Baptist Hospital
- South Miami Surgery Center
- Medical Arts Surgical Center, South Miami Hospital
- West Kendall Baptist Hospital
- South Miami Wound Care Center